Heavy Vehicle Licence
LR – MR – HR – HC – MC

Get your Truck Licence Certificate of Competence

Request a Callback

We’ll give you a call to discuss the licence options with you

We’re waiting for your call

Boost your employment opportunities in the transport and logistics industry with a heavy vehicle truck licence.

Our Truck Licence Assessors

Corey Hutchins

Glenn McDonald

Grant Collis

Heavy Vehicle Truck Licence Course

The heavy vehicle truck licence course is conducted under Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) guidelines on a one on one basis. The Training and Assessment given in this situation will allow you to develop your knowledge and skills of driving the selected Heavy Vehicle and eventually gain a heavy vehicle Licence. The training is customised to suit the requirements and needs of the individual.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You can apply for a LIGHT RIGID (LR) licence when you have held a car driver licence for 12 months.
  • You can apply for a MEDIUM RIGID (MR) licence when you have held a car driver licence for 12 months.
  • You can apply for a HEAVY RIGID (HR) licence when you have held a car driver licence for 24 months.
  • You can apply for a HEAVY COMBINATION (HC) licence when you have held a (MR) or (HR) driver licence or equivalent for one year or more. (A person who holds a provisional P2 licence is not eligible for a HC licence.)
  • You can apply for a MULTI COMBINATION (MC) licence when you have held a (HR) or (HC) driver licence for at least one year.

When you are learning to drive a truck or bus, you must always display DRIVER UNDER INSTRUCTION plates at the front and back of the vehicle.

To get a heavy vehicle licence for the first time, you must produce your driver licence as evidence of identity and a secondary evidence document (e.g. a current Medicare Card, credit or account card issued by a bank, building society or credit union).

  • Go to VicRoads or dowload the Bus & Truck Drivers’ Handbook and study it, as this is what your knowledge assessment will be based on. Your knowledge test will be conducted at Intrain Assessor.
  • Contact Intrain Assessor and book in for your driver training and assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking.
  • An eyesight check where you will be required to read a standard eye chart
  • Successfully completed your knowledge test.
  • An on-road driving assessment
  • An off-road skills assessment (reversing)
  • You must pass a driving test in a vehicle of the category of licence you require.
  • Once you have successfully completed you will be given a copy of your results.The assessment officer will also give you verbal feedback on your driving performance. When you pass your test with an Intrain Assessor, you will be issued with a Vic Roads Certificate of Competence.
  • You will need to take the certificate to your nearest  Customer Service Centre to get your licence.  (See accredited training & Non Accredited training below)
  • Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence
  • Applicants who are on Medication or with a Medical Condition may require a medical Clearance from your State Regulator prior to commencement.
  • Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from your State Regulator stating licence category eligible.
  • Clearance from your State Regulator may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.

* State Regulator criteria’s will not allow training on international licenses (except NZ).

1 Day (depending on experience)


  • Timeline quoted above is a guide only.
  • Hourly training is also available upon request

Synchromesh Transmission Vehicles

When upgrading from a car class to a Heavy vehicle licence, the new licence is endorsed with a ‘B’ condition if the driving test is passed in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh gear box.
You will need to select synchromesh or automatic transmission gear box, before commencing the course.


  • Road Law General
  • Driving Tips
  • Knowledge Test


  • Pre-operational checks
  • 90-degree turns
  • Reversing
  • Observation
  • Braking distance
  • Following distance
  • Turns
  • Highway driving
  • Intersections/Roundabouts
  • Lane Management
  • Gear Selection
  • System of vehicle control
  • Maintaining safe speed/safe gap
  • Correct use of accessories
  • Cabin Inspection
  • Load Restraint


  • Theory Test
  • Drive Assessment
  • Skills Assessment (Reverse Test, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection & Load Restraint)

If you fail your assessment, you can re-book another assessment. However it is strongly recommended to undertake further training in the area that you failed.

Complete the required your State Regulator’s paperwork and the course assessment to upgrade your Licence

If you are unable to attend any course days you must contact our admin team. Office Contact Number: 02 6040 0807 | Office Email Address: enquiries@intrain.com.au

Please read our fees policy here

If you pass you licence assessment and receive a Certificate of Competence (CoC) you can use the CoC in any other state in Australia, However you will still be required to meet the state regulator requirements for applying for that class of licence.

Light Rigid (LR) $1600

Medium Rigid (MR) $1200

Heavy Rigid (HR) $1550

Heavy Combination (HC) $1550

Multi Combination (MC) $1600

B – Synchromesh transmission

When applying for a heavy vehicle licence, if you were tested in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh transmission you will:

  • have a synchromesh (B) condition placed on your licence, and
  • only be permitted to drive a heavy vehicle with a synchromesh or an automatic transmission, and
  • if you were a holder of a probationary driver licence with an automatic condition, the A condition will be removed and the synchromesh (B) condition will be applied to your licence

If you already hold a Victorian, interstate or New Zealand heavy vehicle licence which does not have a B restriction, then a B restriction will not be imposed.

Removing Synchromesh transmission restriction

If you wish to drive non-synchromesh vehicles (commonly known as crash boxes, constant-mesh or ‘Road Ranger’ gears) and hold a driver licence with a ‘B’ condition, you will have to be re-tested in a vehicle fitted with that type of transmission.

If you get your automatic bus and truck driver licence while you hold a manual car driver licence, the synchromesh (‘B’) condition will apply immediately.
Contact an accredited provider to book in your test to remove the B condition.

There is a fee of $350 if no training is required, if training is required there is a fee of $120 an hour.

Start Learning to Drive Today

Give us a call to schedule your truck licence course

  • (02) 6040 0807