TLILIC2016 Licence to drive a heavy rigid vehicle

Course Price $1850

Request a Callback

We’ll give you a call to discuss the best driving course for you:

We’re waiting for your call

Boost your employment opportunities in the transport and logistics industry with a Heavy Rigid truck licence.

Our Trainers & Assessors

Corey Hutchins

Glenn McDonald

Grant Collis

Course Information

This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to obtain a licence to drive a heavy rigid vehicle. It includes systematically and efficiently controlling all vehicle functions, monitoring traffic and road conditions, managing vehicle condition and performance, and effectively managing hazardous situations.

Types of heavy rigid vehicles include:

– Any rigid vehicle with three or more axles, including bus or truck, greater than 8 tonnes GVM.

– Heavy Rigid licence holders may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) that has a GVM not greater than 9 tonnes.

The Heavy Rigid licence assessment is conducted under Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) guidelines on a one on one basis. The Training and Assessment given in this situation will allow you to develop your knowledge and skills of driving a Heavy Rigid Vehicle and eventually gain a Heavy Rigid Licence. The training is customised to suit the requirements and needs of the client.

Requirements To Obtain A Heavy Rigid Truck Licence

To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months. (not a learner)

2-5 Days Dependent upon student aptitude and previous experience

You can apply for a Heavy Rigid (HR) licence when you have held a car driver licence for 24 months.When you are learning to drive a truck or bus, you must always display DRIVER UNDER INSTRUCTION plates at the front and back of the vehicle.
To get a Heavy Rigid licence for the first time, you must produce your driver licence as evidence of identity and a secondary evidence document (e.g. a current Medicare Card, credit or account card issued by a bank, building society or credit union).

  • Go to VicRoads and purchase the Bus & Truck Drivers’ Handbook and study it, as this is what your knowledge assessment will be based on. Your knowledge test will be conducted at Intrain Assessor.
  • Contact us and book in for your driver training and assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking.


  • An eyesight check where you will be required to read a standard eye chart
  • Successfully completed your knowledge test.
  • An on-road driving assessment
  • An off-road skills assessment (reversing)
  • You must pass a driving test in a vehicle of the category of licence you require.
  • Once you have successfully completed you will be given a copy of your results.The assessment officer will also give you verbal feedback on your driving performance. When you pass your test with an Intrain Assessor, you will be issued with a Vic Roads Certificate of Competence.
  • You will need to take the certificate to your nearest  Customer Service Centre to get your licence.  (See accredited training & Non Accredited training below)
  • Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.

Special Conditions:

  • Applicants who are on Medication or with a Medical Condition may require a medical Clearance from VicRoads prior to commencement.
  • Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from VicRoads stating licence category eligible.
  • Clearance from VicRoads may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.

* VicRoads criteria will not allow training on international licences (except NZ).

  • The RTA Roads & Traffic Authority is now known as RMS – Roads & Maritime Services
  • You can practice the Heavy vehicle knowledge test on the RMS website as many times as you like (see following link)
  • When you are confident with your practice results go to the RMS (no need to book in) and undertake the knowledge test.
  • Once you have successfully completed the Knowledge test(Service NSW will issue you a guide to heavy vehicle competency based assessment guide book (read this book prior to the course) and a heavy vehicle competency based assessment LEARNER LOG BOOK
  • You will need to provide RMS with: ➢Your current Drivers Licence & Payment for the knowledge test. ➢Once you have passed your knowledge test, you will be required to undertake a vision test (If you wear glasses ensure you take them along). ➢On successful completion you will be required to purchase the “HVCBA Learner Logbook” & “A Guide to HVCBA”.
  • Contact our office and book in for your Driver Training & Assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking.


  • The guide to heavy vehicle competency based assessment guide book (Issued by Service NSW) and a heavy vehicle competency based assessment learner logbook (issued by Service NSW)
  • The Guide outlines the requirements to pass the assessments as well as the tasks you need to perform to complete each criteria.
  • A Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Learner’s Log Book.
  • The logbook is the official record of your progress.
  • Either pass an RMS driving test or undertake HVCBA. (See Accredited training & Non Accredited training below)
  • Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.

Synchromesh Transmission Vehicles

When upgrading from a car class to a Heavy vehicle licence, the new licence is endorsed with a ‘B’ condition if the driving test is passed in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh gear box.
You will need to select synchromesh or automatic transmission gear box, before commencing the course.


  • Road Law General
  • Driving Tips
  • VicRoads Theory Test


  • Pre-operational checks
  • 90-degree turns
  • Reversing
  • Observation
  • Braking distance
  • Following distance
  • Turns
  • Highway driving
  • Intersections/Roundabouts
  • Lane Management
  • Gear Selection
  • System of vehicle control
  • Maintaining safe speed/safe gap
  • Correct use of accessories
  • Cabin Inspection
  • Load Restraint


  • Theory Test
  • Drive Assessment
  • Skills Assessment (Reverse Test, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection & Load Restraint)

This course is a Nationally Recognised Training course and applicants deemed competent at the conclusion of the course will be provided with a Statement of Attainment.

The applicant is responsible for the payment of Licensing fees for Heavy Vehicle Licence when they lodge their licence upgrade with RMS or VicRoads.

A non-accredited Licence is available, contact our admin team for further details.

If you are unable to attend any course days you must contact our admin team. Office Contact Number: 02 6040 0807 | Office Email Address:

Please read our fees & refunds policy here

Start Learning to Drive Today

Give us a call to schedule your truck licence course

  • (02) 6040 0807