(MR) – Medium Rigid

LR SYMBOL    -----    MR Symbol    -----    HR Symbol    -----  HC Symbol -----   MC Symbol



Designed for drivers who wish to upgrade from either a C or LR class licence. Participants develop the necessary skills, knowledge and attitude to obtain a Medium Rigid Licence with a Synchromesh manual transmission, through competency based assessment (CBA) with experienced trainers accredited by the RMS.



  • Participants must hold a current C or LR licence and have held that licence for a minimum of twelve months.
  • Be proficient in the use of a manual transmission.
  • Participants must have completed the MR knowledge test and obtained a CBA learner logbook and guide book.
  • The CBA guide book must have been read before starting the course.
  • A person who holds a provisional P1 licence is not eligible for a LR licence.
  • From 1 January 2015 ALL students undertaking nationally recognised training will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). It is free and easy for students to create their own USI’s online.



mrvProvisional P2 licence holders (who also hold a Class LR, MR or HR heavy vehicle licence) will remain a provisional licence holder until they have held the P2 licence for a minimum of 2 years and pass a Driver Qualification Test. There is no variation to this rule and an unrestricted licence will not be issued until the applicant complies with the requirements of the Graduated Licensing Scheme.



This is a NSW RMS approved licence course. Drivers will be trained and assessed against the RMS competency standards by our RMS accredited assessors. After the required standard of competency has been achieved the RMS will issue the appropriate licence.




  • Have held a class C licence, (except a learner licence) or equivalent for one year or more
  • Pass a knowledge test (see this section on Knowledge tests).
  • It is a requirement of the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) of NSW, that prior to any HVCBA training & assessment commencing that you undertake a computer based Knowledge Test at an RMS office. Once you have passed this test you will be issued with the following:
  • A Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment
  • The Guide outlines the requirements to pass the assessments as well as the tasks you need to perform to complete each criteria
  • A Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Learner’s Log Book
  • The log book is the official record of your progress.
  • Pass an eyesight test.
  • Either pass an RMS driving test or undertake HVCBA.


  • An applicant for this licence class must have held an Australian driver licence (including a provisional licence) of a class C for a period of at least 12 months.
  • Applicants are required to undertake and pass a knowledge assessment for this class of licence
  • The knowledge assessment comprises 35 computer-based questions with some mandatory questions and some general questions.
  • Applicants can answer up to four (4) questions incorrectly in the general questions group and still pass the assessment.
  • Applicants are required to have passed the knowledge assessment before attempting a practical driving assessment for the class they are seeking.
  • To undertake a knowledge assessment, applicants must have a current ACT licence and attend one of the following locations
  • Road Ready Centre 72 Townsend Street Phillip (02) 6282 8990
  • Road Ready Centre Canberra Technology Park 47 Phillip Avenue Watson (02) 6162 5152
  • A practical driving assessment is required for applicants wishing to obtain a driver licence for this class of licence (a driver licence will be issued appropriate to the class of vehicle in which the applicant passes his or her assessment):
  • Display L Plates whilst being given instruction from an appropriately licensed driver


  • You can apply for a MEDIUM RIGID (MR) licence when you have held a car driver licence for 12 months.
  • When you are learning to drive a truck or bus, you must always display DRIVER UNDER INSTRUCTION plates at the front and back of the vehicle.
  • These plates must meet the following requirements:
  • To get a heavy vehicle licence for the first time, you must produce your driver licence as evidence of identity and a secondary evidence document (e.g. a current Medicare Card, credit or account card issued by a bank, building society or credit union).
  • An eyesight check where you will be required to read a standard eye chart
  • A test of your road law knowledge based on information in the current edition of the Victorian bus and truck drivers’ handbook (note: if you already hold a bus or truck licence, a knowledge test is not necessary.)
  • You must pass a driving test in a vehicle of the category of licence you require consisting of
  • An on-road driving assessment
  • An off-road skills assessment
  • Once you have finished, you will be given a copy of your results.
  • The assessment officer will also give you verbal feedback on your driving performance.
  • If you pass your test with an accredited provider, you will be issued with a Vic Roads Certificate of Competence. You will need to take the certificate to your nearest Vic Roads Customer Service Centre to get your licence.



  1. Click here to create your USI #
  2. Click here to practice the knowledge test
  3. Click here for NSW licensing (RMS) website
  4. Click here for VIC Licensing (VIC Roads) website
  5. Click Here for ACT Licensing (ACT Government) website



  • Up to a $1,000 deposit is required upon booking. However the balance is to be paid before the course has been completed (Unless alternate arrangements have been made).
  • RMS Licence upgrade fees are not included.
  • Many trainees complete their training and assessment in the time allocated.  Any extra time will be charged at the rate of $135 per hour.



All booking fees are non refundable if a cancellation notice has not been received 48 hours before commencement of course date.