Licence-Heavy Rigid

Heavy Rigid (HR) Intrain Assessors

TLILIC2016 Licence to drive a heavy rigid vehicle (Release 2)

Unit of Competency:

Cost: $1550.00
Weekends extra $400.00

Course Information:

The Heavy Rigid course is conducted under Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) guidelines on a one on one basis. The Training and Assessment given in this situation will allow you to develop your knowledge and skills of driving a Heavy Rigid Vehicle and eventually gain a Heavy Rigid Licence. The training is customised to suit the requirements and needs of the client.

Student/Instructor Ratio 1:1

Course Location:  322 Wagga Rd Lavington, NSW 2641


Requirements To Obtain A Heavy Rigid Licence

You can apply for a HEAVY RIGID (HR) licence when you have held a car driver licence for 24 months.When you are learning to drive a truck or bus, you must always display DRIVER UNDER INSTRUCTION plates at the front and back of the vehicle.
To get a heavy vehicle licence for the first time, you must produce your driver licence as evidence of identity and a secondary evidence document (e.g. a current Medicare Card, credit or account card issued by a bank, building society or credit union).
  • VICTORIAN LICENCE HOLDERS (What you need to do)
    • Go to VicRoads and purchase the Bus & Truck Drivers’ Handbook and study it, as this is what your knowledge assessment will be based on. Your knowledge test will be conducted at INTRAIN ASSESSOR.
    • Contact us and book in for your driver training and assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking.   
    • Complete an eyesight check where you will be required to read a standard eye chart
    • Successfully completed your knowledge test. 
    • An on-road driving assessment
    • An off-road skills assessment (reversing)
    • You must pass a driving test in a vehicle of the category of licence you require.
    • Once you have successfully completed you will be given a copy of your results.The assessment officer will also give you verbal feedback on your driving performance. When you pass your test with an Intrain Assessor, you will be issued with a Vic Roads Certificate of Competence. You will need to take the certificate to your nearest  Customer Service Centre to get your licence.  (See accredited training & Non Accredited training below)
    • Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.                                        
  • Special Conditions:

    • Applicants who are on Medication or with a Medical Condition may require a medical Clearance from VicRoads prior to commencement.
    • Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from VicRoads stating licence category eligible.
    • Clearance from VicRoads may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.

    * VicRoads criteria will not allow training on international licences (except NZ). 

    New South Wales

    • Have held a class C licence, (except a learner licence) or equivalent for two years or more.
    • Pass a knowledge test (see this section on Knowledge tests).
    • It is a requirement of the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) of NSW, that prior to any HVCBA training & assessment commencing that you undertake a computer-based Knowledge Test at an RMS office. Once you have passed this test you will be issued with the following and must supply learner and assessor guide books.
    • A Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment.
    • The Guide outlines the requirements to pass the assessments as well as the tasks you need to perform to complete each criteria.
    • A Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Learner’s Log Book.
    • The logbook is the official record of your progress.
    • Pass an eyesight test.
    • Either pass an RMS driving test or undertake HVCBA. (See accredited training & Non Accredited training below)
    • Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence. 
  • NSW LICENCE HOLDERS (What you need to do)
    • The RTA Roads & Traffic Authority is now known as RMS – Roads & Maritime Services
    • You can practice the Heavy vehicle knowledge test on the RMS website as many times as you like (see following link)
    • When you are confident with your practice results go to the RMS (no need to book in) and undertake the knowledge test. You need to complete the test at least 3 days prior to your driver training booking.
    • You will need to provide RMS with: ➢Your current Drivers Licence & Payment for the knowledge test. ➢Once you have passed your knowledge test, you will be required to undertake a vision test (If you wear glasses ensure you take them along). ➢On successful completion you will be required to purchase the “HVCBA Learner Logbook” & “A Guide to HVCBA”.
    • Contact our office and book in for your Driver Training & Assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking. 


    OPTION 1

    A Heavy Vehicle Licence upgrade in conjunction with a Nationally Recognised Qualification obtained from this course will be achieved by:

    • A non-refundable Enrolment Fee
    • Obtaining a Unique Student Identifier Number (USI)
    • To upgrade your licence complete the following
    • Additional Summative Theory Assessment
    • The issuing of a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment
    • Your Qualification recorded against your USI with Unique Student Identifier Registry


    OPTION 2

    A Heavy Vehicle Licence upgrade without a Nationally Recognised Qualification obtained from this course will be achieved by the RTO:

    • Completing the required VICROADS/RMS paperwork and course content (see below) to upgrade your Licence


    • If at a later date you require the Qualification offered in Option 1 it will be at an additional cost based on the current costing at the time of application and additional course time.

Your choice :
  • Non-synchromesh (18 speed Road Ranger)  1 or 2 days (Depending on experience)
  • Eaton Ultrashift (Automatic) gearbox  1 day (Depending on experience)

  • Timelines quoted above are a guide only.
  • Hourly training is also available upon request

Synchromesh Transmission Vehicles
When upgrading from a car class to a heavy vehicle licence, the new licence is endorsed with a ‘B’ condition if the driving test is passed in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh gear box. These licensees may only drive a heavy vehicle fitted synchromesh gear box. This condition applies to licence classes LR, MR, HR, HC and MC. It does not apply to licence class C.


Heavy Rigid (HR) Intrain Assessors


Course Content:

  • Theory & Practical


  • Road Law General
  • Driving Tips
  • VicRoads Theory Test


  • Pre-operational checks
  • 90-degree turns
  • Reversing 
  • Observation
  • Braking distance
  • Following distance
  • Turns
  • Highway driving
  • Intersections/Roundabouts
  • Lane Management
  • Gear Selection
  • System of vehicle control
  • Maintaining safe speed/safe gap
  • Correct use of accessories
  • Cabin Inspection
  • Load Restraint


  • Theory Test (if applicable)
  • Drive Assessment
  • Skills Assessment (Reverse Test, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection & Load Restraint)

Intrain Assessors

Albury, Wodonga

Contact Us Today!

Albury Wodonga: (02) 60 400 807

Talk to our friendly team about our services & equipment

Copyright © 2018. Intrain Assessors - Industry Training Specialists.