Licence-Heavy Combination

Heavy Combination (HC) Intrain Assessors

TLILIC3017 Licence to drive a heavy combination vehicle Release 2

Unit of Competency:

Cost: $1550.00
Weekends extra $400.00

Course Information:
The Heavy Combination course is conducted under Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) guidelines on a one on one basis. The Training and Assessment given in this situation will allow you to develop your knowledge and skills of driving a Heavy Combination Vehicle and eventually gain a Heavy Combination Licence. The training is customised to suit the requirements and needs of the client.

Student/Instructor Ratio 1:1

Course Location: 322 Wagga Rd Lavington NSW, 2641

Gross Vehicle Mass

  • 3 Axles or more
  • Any towed trailer with GVM of more than 9T

A person who holds a provisional P2 licence is not eligible for a HC licence.

Requirements To Obtain A Heavy Combination Licence

You can apply for a HEAVY COMBINATION (HC) licence when you have held a (MR) or (HR) driver licence or equivalent for one year or more.When you are learning to drive a truck or bus, you must always display DRIVER UNDER INSTRUCTION plates at the front and back of the vehicle.
To get a heavy vehicle licence for the first time, you must produce your driver licence as evidence of identity and a secondary evidence document (e.g. a current Medicare Card, credit or account card issued by a bank, building society or credit union).

  • VICTORIAN LICENCE HOLDERS (What you need to do)
    • Go to VicRoads and purchase the Bus & Truck Drivers’ Handbook and study it, as this is what your knowledge assessment will be based on. Your knowledge test will be conducted at INTRAIN ASSESSOR.
    • Contact us and book in for your driver training and assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking.             
    • An eyesight check where you will be required to read a standard eye chart
    • Successfully completed your knowledge test. 
    • An on-road driving assessment
    • An off-road skills assessment (reversing)
    • You must pass a driving test in a vehicle of the category of licence you require.
    • Once you have successfully completed you will be given a copy of your results.The assessment officer will also give you verbal feedback on your driving performance. When you pass your test with an Intrain Assessor, you will be issued with a Vic Roads Certificate of Competence.
    • You will need to take the certificate to your nearest  Customer Service Centre to get your licence.  (See accredited training & Non Accredited training below)
    • Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.

    Special Conditions:

    • Applicants who are on Medication or with a Medical Condition may require a medical Clearance from VicRoads prior to commencement.
    • Applicants with an Overseas Licence must have written approval from VicRoads stating licence category eligible.
    • Clearance from VicRoads may be required before any Training or Assessment may commence.

    * VicRoads criteria will not allow training on international licences (except NZ). 

    NSW LICENCE HOLDERS (What you need to do)

    • The RTA Roads & Traffic Authority is now known as RMS – Roads & Maritime Services
    • You can practice the Heavy vehicle knowledge test on the RMS website as many times as you like (see following link)
    • When you are confident with your practice results go to the RMS (no need to book in) and undertake the knowledge test. You need to complete the test at least 4 days prior to booking in the training.
    • Once you have successfully completed the Knowledge test(Service NSW will issue you a guide to heavy vehicle competency based assessment guide book (read this book prior to the course) and a heavy vehicle competency based assessment LEARNER LOG BOOK
    • You will need to provide RMS with: ➢Your current Drivers Licence & Payment for the knowledge test. ➢Once you have passed your knowledge test, you will be required to undertake a vision test (If you wear glasses ensure you take them along). ➢On successful completion you will be required to purchase the “HVCBA Learner Logbook” & “A Guide to HVCBA”.
    • Contact our office and book in for your Driver Training & Assessment, a deposit is required at the time of booking. 


    • The guide to heavy vehicle competency based assessment guide book (Issued by Service NSW) and a heavy vehicle competency based assessment learner logbook (issued by Service NSW)
    • The Guide outlines the requirements to pass the assessments as well as the tasks you need to perform to complete each criteria.
    • A Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Learner’s Log Book.
    • The logbook is the official record of your progress.
    • Either pass an RMS driving test or undertake HVCBA. (See Accredited training & Non Accredited training below)
    • Course Prices/times do NOT Guarantee a Licence.


    OPTION 1

    A Heavy Vehicle Licence upgrade in conjunction with a Nationally Recognised Qualification obtained from this course will be achieved by:

    • A non-refundable Enrolment Fee
    • Obtaining a Unique Student Identifier Number (USI)
    • To upgrade your licence complete the following
    • Additional Summative Theory Assessment
    • The issuing of a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment
    • Your Qualification recorded against your USI with Unique Student Identifier Registry


    OPTION 2

    A Heavy Vehicle Licence upgrade without a Nationally Recognised Qualification obtained from this course will be achieved by the RTO:

    • Completing the required VICROADS/RMS paperwork and course content (see below) to upgrade your Licence


    • If at a later date you require the Qualification offered in Option 1 it will be at an additional cost based on the current costing at the time of application and additional course time.
HVCBA Assessment While You Learn

You can learn to drive either with a licensed driving instructor or with an appropriate NSW licence holder. You can only be assessed by an accredited RTO assessor. All assessors are licensed driving instructors so they can assess and train you.

  • A person who holds a provisional P2 licence is not eligible for a HC licence.
  • You must hold a current NSW driver licence to be eligible for HVCBA.
  • HVCBA with an RMS-accredited RTO assessor is the primary method for obtaining a heavy vehicle licence in Sydney, Central Coast and Newcastle regions.

Your choice :
  • Non-synchromesh (18 speed Road Ranger) 1 or 2 days (Depending on experience)
  • Eaton Ultrashift (Automatic) gearbox 1 or 2 days (Depending on experience)

  • Time quoted above are a guide only.
  • Hourly training is also available upon request

Course Content:

  • Theory & Practical


  • Road Law General
  • Driving Tips
  • Theory Test


  • Pre-operational checks
  • Coupling/Uncoupling
  • 90-degree turns
  • Reversing
  • Observation
  • Braking distance
  • Following distance
  • Turns
  • Highway driving
  • Intersections/Roundabouts
  • Lane Management
  • Gear Selection
  • System of vehicle control
  • Maintaining safe speed/safe gap
  • Correct use of accessories
  • Cabin Inspection
  • Load Restraint


  • Theory Test (if applicable)
  • Drive Assessment
  • Skills Assessment (Reverse Test, Cabin Inspection, Vehicle Inspection & Load
Synchromesh Transmission Vehicles

When upgrading from a car class to a heavy vehicle licence, the new licence is endorsed with a ‘B’ condition if the driving test is passed in a vehicle fitted with a synchromesh gearbox. These licensees may only drive a heavy vehicle fitted synchromesh gearbox. This condition applies to licence classes LR, MR, HR, HC and MC. It does not apply to licence class C.
Heavy Combination (HC) Intrain Assessors

Samples of Assessment Criteria for a Heavy Combination Licence

  • Ensure vehicle is loaded to 75% (NSW) 60% (ACT) of its capacity.
  • Load restraint assessment using ropes, load binders (dogs) and chains, and ratchet/winch and straps.
  • Ability to drain the test vehicle’s air tank (where fitted).
  • Couple & Uncouple trailer.
  • Knowledge of the height of the vehicle’s load.
  • Ability to perform a pre-test safety check, ie tyres, wheels, wheel nuts, fluid and air leaks etc.
  • Thorough knowledge of the test vehicle’s controls.
  • A comprehensive driving assessment.
  • The above are some of the components required to pass a driving assessment for this vehicle class.

Intrain Assessors

Albury, Wodonga & Shepparton

Contact Us Today!

Albury Wodonga: (02) 60 400 807

Talk to our friendly team about our services & equipment

Copyright © 2018. Intrain Assessors - Industry Training Specialists.